Friday, April 8, 2016

The Reluctance of Going Back to School

Now that I've lived in Spain for many years, and have passed the C1 DELE, I see several options in my goal to obtain more translation work. I have applied to several companies, but many ask for proof of formal education or training. Besides the classes I took at the local university, and my DELE from Instituto Cervantes, I don't have much else at the moment. I wonder if I need to take formal training, in case my experience and exam marks aren't enough.

Some people go for a Masters. That's two years and thousands of euros out of my life. Besides not wanting to sacrifice so much of my life and money, there's also the fact that I never enjoyed going to school when I was younger. I'd look at the essay assignments that required a 200-word answer, and think to myself, "The answer's easy; it's either 'yes' or 'no'. Wtf." I really wish I had the drive and life stability to sacrifice that much time, but alas that's not the case.

I suppose I could try enchufe (using a personal connection to get a job). I'm sure if I really tried to meet people, eventually someone would think of me the next time a conference came up and they needed a translator. Or perhaps one of the hundreds of students that are obligated to write a summary of their thesis in English may remember the Canadian they met at the last party, and give me a ring.

Then there's online courses. This certainly could be an option, as it's much cheaper and a good way to spend my summer. But I wonder if they're considered valid in the eyes of future employers? Once I make a decision on what to do, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment